As a Friends & Family Light The Night Team, you can honor or remember a loved one who battled or is currently battling cancer and make a difference in the lives of millions of people who have been touched by blood cancers. The funds raised by your team will be invested in critical cancer research, patient services, and community outreach programs to help enhance, prolong, and save the lives of blood cancer patients. The three iconic Light The Night lanterns symbolize why you're walking: White for patients and survivors, Red for those walking in support, and Gold for those walking in memory.
National Capital Area 2019 Light the Night Walk Dates:
Northern Virginia: Reston Town Center - October (TBA)
Montgomery County: Rockville Town Square - October (TBA)
Washington, D.C.: National Mall - October (TBA)
What is Light The Night?
Light The Night is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) annual evening fundraising event to celebrate and commemorate lives touched by blood cancer. More than 200 communities across North America fundraise throughout the the year then come together for these inspirational and memorable Walks. Each October, the National Capital Area Chapter of LLS hosts three Light The Night events in Northern Virginia, Montgomery County, and Washington, D.C. Friends, families, and co-workers form fundraising teams, and millions of consumers help by donating at retail outlets. These efforts fund lifesaving research and programs for people battling cancer.
Why Should I Get Involved?
To support LLS’s mission: to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease, and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. Light The Night is a fun, family-friendly event, and a great way to bring colleagues, family, and friends together in support of an important cause.
Anyone can get involved! In 2018, more than 13,000 people participated in the National Capital Area Light The Night. Corporate sponsors, company walk teams, and friends & family teams joined together to raise $3.1 million to support blood cancer research and benefit patient aid.
Joining Light The Night Is Easy!
- Meet with our Light The Night Staff for great tips on how to get started. Call us today at 703-399-2941.
- Fundraise! Our average participant raises $350 for our mission, while many go on to become Bright Lights by raising $1,000 or more. Fundraising incentives are available at many levels.
- Light The Night staff will work with you to create a fun and impactful plan for your team.
- Get your company involved. We have great opportunities for corporate involvement, including:
- Corporate Sponsorships
- Corporate Walk Teams
- In-Kind Donations
- Retail Partnerships
- The success of our participants depend on the help of enthusiastic volunteers. Opportunities include our Executive Committee, event-day volunteers, and in-office administrative support.
Form a Walk Team!
Step One: Identify one or more Team Captain(s)
- A team captain’s goal is to recruit walkers and encourage fundraising for LLS’s mission.
Step Two: Recruit Walkers
- Spread the word to your friends and family members. Co-workers are welcome too!
- Share why you're participating on social media
Step Three: Set Your Team’s Goal and Start Fundraising
- Meet with your Light The Night representative to help set a goal and fundraising plan.
Ask your team members to raise the local average of $300 through outreach to their personal network and team events
There are no participation fees. All cancer (all types) patients/survivors will receive a white lantern, survivor shirt, and wristband for access to food/games. All registered participants will receive a lantern. All registered participants raising $100+ will receive a lantern, t-shirt, and wristband for access to food/games.
Plan and host team fundraising events throughout the year
Share your story and fundraising progress on social media
Step Four: Celebrate Your Team’s Success at the Walk!
- Light The Night is a fun and family friendly event, great for building relationships. The evening begins at 5PM with a huge block party, then the Walk kicks off at 7PM and is about 2 miles long.
- Friends & Family Teams raising $10,000 or more will receive a 10x10 tent with team sign.
- Friends & Family Teams raising $5,000 or more will receive a table with team sign.
- Friends & Family Teams raising $1,000 or more will receive a banner to decorate and carry during the walk.
Step 5: Wrap up the year!
- Team Fundraising continues until Dec. 31.
- Check to see if your company has a matching gifts program.
- Meet with your Light The Night representative to recap the year.
To learn more about forming a team, call us at: 703-399-2941 or complete the form below.